Master this easy pumpkin soup that is very healthy and gently spiced. Due to coconut milk, it is also dairy- free and vegan.
Nothing beats a good comfort dinner more than a pumpkin soup! In this case, everything good means just PUMPKIN+COCONUT MILK+ CHILI PEPPERS. Coconut milk is stirred in at the end for added richness and slightly exotic taste. In Slovakia pumpkin it is pretty seasonal ingredient around autumn and winter but I have to admit that I would not refuse a hot bowl of this soup even in spring. You can serve this soup with roasted pumpkin seed and drizzled with pumpkin oil for more intense flavour. Or you can get creative and use roasted chickpeas with chilli flakes, sesame seeds or sunflower seeds. It is all up to you and your imagination.
- 1kg of pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 800 ml of vegetable stock
- 1Tbs of coconut oil
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 chili pepper
- 1Tsp of cumin powder
- salt & pepper
- roasted pumpkin seeds (peeled)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the pumpkin, cumin, salt & pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the veggie stock into the saucepan and add chili pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer till the pumpkin is very soft.
- Use a stick blender to blend until smooth (note: if you don’t want the soup to be very spicy, take out the chili pepper before you blend it). Pour the coconut milk into the saucepan and bring to the boil again. Cook for about 3-5 minutes more. Season the soup if it is necessary.
- Serve with the roasted seeds according to your taste.