Every roast dinner needs its roast potatoes. Pretty classic side dish but with so many ways to prepare it. And trust me, I have experimented with so many recipes to find what works the best for me. So here is my version- fluffy and soft inside but with crispy edges.
That’s the balance I have been looking for when it comes to roasted potatoes. I personally prefer unpeeled baby potatoes and I cut them just in half but any other types of potatoes work well. Ideally the potatoes you start with should be roughly the same size. If not, cut them into even-sized pieces, not too small neither too big. To be always sure that potatoes will be soft inside I just preboil them till they are half soft and not fully cooked. For this reason your roasted potatoes will never be uncooked or too hard inside. My secret ingredient is to add a teaspoon of baking soda while preboiling them which just helps for the crunchiness later on. When it comes to herbs I usually go for a fresh rosemary as I find it as a great combination with potatoes and garlic in general and I love the smell when you bake them together. But if you don’t like rosemary you can use fresh tarragon, thyme or even sage. Those who love spicy food I recommend you to add different spices or herbs the last 10 minutes of roasting because otherwise the spices can burn and the potatoes will just get bitter taste.
- 1 kg of baby potatoes, unpeeled & cut in half
- 3 Tbs of good quality olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 1Tsp of baking soda
- Bunch of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Wash the potatoes well to get rid of any dirt and transfer them into a large Pot. Cover with cold salted water and preboil for 8-10 minutes depends on their size.
- Drain them and dry them properly.
- Transfer potatoes in a large bowl and toss with oil, salt, pepper, and mix them well. Place the potatoes in a large roasting tray by spreading them out evenly in a single layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chopped rosemary, whole unpeeled cloves of garlic, stir again and roast for another 10-15minutes or till they are golden and crunchy.
- Serve immediately