Mixing different cuisines can bring you surprisingly new amazing dishes. The only rule is that there are no rules. Just follow your instinct and set your creativity free. And if you are not that creative type of person then just follow my recipes and get inspired.
I started this post with mixing different cuisines. Today’s recipe is simple meat-veggie skewers that are typical meal in many countries all over the word . In Greece we know them as souvlaki, in japan as yakitori, or it can be understood as a type of kebab too. In Slovakia we call them “špíz” and usually it’s a mix of grilled veggies and chicken or pork meat on wooden stick.
Salsa Romesco is amazing Catalan sauce, originally from Tarragona and it is typical for the period of “Calçotada” when Catalans are grilling “calçots” which are type of spring onions and they serve them with this romesco sauce. Basically it is nut and pepper-based sauce but depends on the cook the preparation can slightly vary.
I decided to prepare meat skewers and serve them with this salsa and I have to admit that it worked perfectly. This nut and pepper-based sauce is meant to be with any grilled food. So don’t be afraid of mixing different food and create your own original recipes.
- 2 chicken breast, cut into bigger chunks
- 1/2 zucchini, thicker slices
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into bigger pieces
- 1/2 onion, cut into bigger pieces
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- spices for grilling
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- bamboo skewers
- 1 onion, cut into very thick slices
- 1 big tomato, cut in half
- 1 baked bell pepper
- bunch of fresh parsley
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 2 cloves of garlic, cut in half
- 1 Tbs of vinegar
- Alternately thread meat, bell peppers, zucchini and onion onto bamboo skewers. Paint meat skewers with the mixture of olive oil, salt and all the grill spices. If you don’t have classical grill as I don’t , then place them into baking sheet with potato wedges and bake them in an oven till the meat is ready (For about 40mins).
- For Romesco sauce place the tomato, onion and garlic into pan over medium heat and grill them from both sides without any oil till they get very brown for about 15-20 min. Don’t worry they will be burned, as there is no oil they will have slightly grilled taste and they wont be bitter. When they are ready set them aside and in the same pan grill the baked bell pepper from both sides just for 2mins.
- Now place all that grilled vegetable into food processor with nuts, olive oil,vinegar, parsley and salt and blend them till smooth. If it is needed add more salt or vinegar.
- Serve the meat skewers with potatoes and sauce.