Congrí!! One of my favourite rice dishes, For those who love rice and want to try something different than risotto or rice pudding here it is.
This great meal is actually a part of traditional Cuban cuisine and I know it due to my good friend Chave from Cuba 🙂 She prepared it during one of our fiestas and that was the first time I tried Cuban food and I have to admit that I loved it. This specific recipe is not a vegetarian but for those veggie lovers there- just avoid the bacon and you got this meat-free version. For those like me- put there some bacon…lots of bacon! 😛
- one cup of rice
- 50g of dry black beans
- one medium onion, diced
- one yellow bell pepper, chopped
- one clove of garlic, diced
- 1 Tbs of cumin powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Saute bacon, garlic, pepper, onion in olive oil on medium heat until soft.
- Add the beans, season them with pepper and salt, add cumin powder, bay leaves and water. Bring to the boil and simmer until beans begin to soften.
- Add rice and another cups of water (or even chicken broth).
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low, covered.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until rice and beans are cooked through and stock is absorbed.